A clogged drain line in an air conditioner unit is a common problem. As air flows through the AC unit, debris gets in and lands on the surfaces such as the drain pan. This debris includes dirt, dust, and pollen. Some signs that your drain line is clogged include water in the drain pan, unpleasant smells coming from the unit, and the system just not working.
Most modern air conditioning units have a float within the drain pan that rises as the level of water rises. When the water level reaches a certain point, the AC unit automatically shuts down to avoid any spillage.
If your air conditioner in Pensacola is having issues and you wish to attempt to unclog its drain lines, follow the steps below.
How to Unclog Drain Lines in Your AC
You can unclog your AC’s drain line by following the following guidelines:
1. Turn your AC unit off.
2. On the exterior of the furnace, the access door lets you reach the drain pan and evaporator coil. The evaporator coil sits where the air comes out in furnaces and on the air intake side of an AC unit.
3. You can use a small vacuum or dry towel to get rid of the water in the drain pan.
4. Dish soap or vinegar can remove dirt, dust, algae, mold, and other particles from the drainpipe.
5. You can use a small wire brush to remove clogs on the drain pan and clean debris.
6. Using the small wire brush, clean the debris on the walls of the pipe.
7. Look for the drain opening and clean around the opening using a brush. This will get rid of debris in the drain line, such as leaves.
8. Pouring vinegar into the condensate drain will get rid of mold, algae, and bacteria. Let the vinegar stay for some hours to take full effect, and then pour water to flush it out.
9. Cover the drainpipe with the PVC cap.
10. Put the panel back on the air conditioning unit.
11. Turn the air conditioning unit back on.
At Bluewater Heating & Air, we’re familiar with air conditioners and how to repair and maintain them. We can also help with heat pumps. Give us a call today to set up service at your home in Pensacola or a nearby community.